Alterations to your home

Tenants can alter their home as long as they have our permission before doing so, or we can alter the home for the tenant if there is a member of the household with a medical condition who would benefit from the alteration. You can get more information on each type of alteration by clicking on the links below. Our Policy on alterations can be found here

Altering Your Home

If you want to alter your home, put up a shed or garage in the garden, or fix anything to your building – like a satellite dish – you must get our written permission before you start work.

You have to write in to tell us what you’re proposing to do and give us details of who’ll be doing the work. We have an Application Form, which lists what we need to know. You can pick up one from the Office, or you can download it from our Download Zone (click here to take you directly to the form). 

Once we’ve got all the information we need, we’ll consider your request and let you know our decision within a month.

If your request is refused, we’ll let you know why we’ve refused it. If you are unhappy with our decision, you can use our Complaints Procedure to complain about our decision and you can also apply to the court to have the decision overturned.

We are not against you putting up garden sheds or fixing things to your building, but we do have to make sure that they don’t cause damage to the building or services. You will also need to check if any other consents are required – like Planning Permission for example.

If you end your tenancy, you are required to leave the property the way it was when you moved in. This means that you must lift and remove all flooring within the property (including tiles) and take down any fitments that you have had fitted (such as ceiling pendants, electric showers and cookers) and put back the original fitments or make good.

Medical Adaptations

If you or a member of your household has a medical condition that means you can’t get about your home as well as you used to, then North View may be able to help you. We can obtain money to cover the cost of altering your house (or fitting aids) to make life in your home easier for you.

If you think you could benefit from this, contact your Housing Officer. Your Housing Officer will complete a referral form with you and send it to Glasgow City Council’s Social Work Services (alternatively, you can contact Social Work Services directly on 0141 276 5010). Social Work Services will arrange for an Occupational Therapist to visit you in your home to assess your needs. Due to the demand for adaptations, this might take some time.

Once the assessment has been completed, the Occupational Therapist will forward details of the adaptation work required to us. Money permitting, we will arrange for a contractor to do the work as soon as possible.